The 52 Things List
Below is a list of 52 “new” things that will serve as the inspiration for my new experiences in 2013. I may add or remove items in order to adapt to the natural ebb and flow of the new year. I have tried to keep it simple; I may not climb a mountain or see the Eiffel Tower, but I hope to discover small joys and achieve some personal growth.
1. Ring in the New Year in New York City.
2. Complete a Tough Mudder in Vibram Fivefingers.
3. Attend a Hot Yoga Class.
4. Throw a Dinner Party.
5. Hike the Shenandoah Trail and/or Old Rag.
6. Go to the National Zoo.
7. Take a Cooking Class.
8. Volunteer at a Local Food Pantry or Soup Kitchen.
9. Go to an NFL Game.
10. Sleep Under the Stars.
11. Write a Short Story or Poem and Read it in Public.
12. Go to One of the Most Unusual Restaurants in the World (http://restoran.us/trivia/unusual.htm).
13. Ask an Octogenarian What it Was Like When They Were Growing Up.
14. Take an Art Class.
15. Go Horseback Riding.
16. Attend a Cultural Event on Embassy Row.
17. Learn How to Make Spaghetti Squash.
18. See a Play.
19. Participate in a Native Round Dance.
20. Tour Colonial Williamsburg.
21. Help Build a Habitat for Humanity House.
22. Make Something Useful Out of Wood.
23. Watch a Live SCOTUS Oral Argument.
24. Attend an Open Mike Night (Comedy or Music).
25. Fly a Kite.
26. Spend a Weekend With No Phone, Internet, or TV.
27. Take a Solo Day Trip to a New Place (and Have a Nice Meal).
28. Go to a New Outdoor Music Festival (e.g. Bonaroo, Coachella, etc.).
29. Learn to Salsa Dance.
30. Learn to Line Dance.
31. Go Kayaking on the Potomac.
32. Buy and Prepare Seafood Purchased at the Wharf (the Maine Avenue Fish Market in SW).
33. Take a DC Monument Walk at Dawn.
34. Attend a Non-Christian Religious Service.
35. Make My Own Jewelry.
36. Take a “Daddy-Daughter” Trip.
37. See an Indie, Foreign, or Black & White Film in a Theater.
38. Spend an Afternoon “Playing Photographer” Around DC.
39. Enter a Bake-Off.
40. Write a Letter to a Senator/Congressman.
41. Watch a Show at the Ryman Auditorium.
42. Go to the Circus.
43. Take Caroline Fishing.
44. Go on a Sister trip.
45. Eat a Raw Foods Diet for 7 Days.
46. Attend a Feastly Meal (http://www.eatfeastly.com).
47. Tour a Local Brewery.
48. Take a Self-Defense Class.
49. Watch a Live Lecture on History, Science/Nature, Literature, Music or Culture.
50. Finish (or Attempt to) a Sunday New York Times Crossword Puzzle.
51. Give Callie the Best Doggone Day Ever (Hike, Dog Park, Fetch, Treats, etc).
52. Join a Group for La Boum Brunch at L’Efant Cafe (http://laboumbrunch.com).